- Check your furnace filters. Every furnace is different, but three months is a good reference around how often filters should be replaced.
- Chimneys should be cleaned and professionally inspected regularly. Most chimney fires occur with wood-burning fireplaces, so burn only small quantities of wood at a time.
- For fireplaces, ensure the fire is fully extinguished when leaving a room.
- Space heaters should not have anything combustible close by. There should be at least one metre of space around them.
- Inspect the electrical cord attached. If it overheats, you have a fire hazard.
- It is important to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. There must be an adequate supply of air for complete burning or combustion, or an excessive amount of carbon monoxide will accumulate indoors.
"Just take that extra 30 seconds to a minute to take a look at what you're doing and make sure it is as safe as possible," added Elliot.