Fort Saskatchewan firefighters were called to the second house fire in three months on 96A Avenue.
Last night (December 11), six fire trucks responded to the fire on 96A Avenue, near 101 Street.
As the home's two residents watched, firefighters carried hoses and axes into the smoke-filled home, with their flashlights wandering around the living room before disappearing to another room of the house.
"At the time fire crews arrived, the fire had mostly been extinguished, they went into investigative mode to try to stop any extension of the fire into the house so they had to gut a bunch of walls inside the house to make sure the fire was out," said Fort Saskatchewan fire chief Shawn McKerry.
The fire was determined to have been caused by an improperly disposed cigarette near an exterior wall. McKerry's crews found damage to the exterior of the home, along with heavy smoke damage from the fire that crept up to the attic.
Area residents took to Facebook, with one commenting that although she lives right behind the home, she was oblivious to what was happening because no smoke or smell was coming from the home during the fire.
"The fire was small and isolated to an exterior wall and slowly creeped inside the home through an exterior wall, so it wasn't a big huge drawn out fire, it was short-lived, which was likely the cause that you didn't see the big fire, big smoke with a typical, fully involved home fire," added McKerry.
A total of 25 firefighters responded to the blaze.
More to come as updates are made available.