Fort Saskatchewan’s Original Joe’s restaurant was evacuated Thursday night (Sept.6) after an apparent malfunction in the building’s heating and ventilation system.
The Fort Saskatchewan Fire Department received a call about smoke in the building at 8:17 p.m. and arrived on scene about three minutes later. About 40 staff and patrons were asked to leave the restaurant while crews evaluated the situation.
“It was determined that one of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning units on the rooftop had a mechanical failure, which then pumped some smoke into the building because of the malfunction in the system,” said Fort Saskatchewan fire chief Shawn McKerry.
The evacuation lasted about an hour, ending after crews determined it was safe for workers to return inside. No injuries were reported.
“Fire crews were doing training in the station at the time,” McKerry said. “So that prompted a very quick response from both our fire engine and our ladder truck."
Original Joe’s staff traced the smoke to a problem with a motor in an air conditioning unit. According to staff the smoke was present only in the back part the restaurant's kitchen.
The restaurant was open for business as usual on Friday.