Five people have been charged after a violent home invasion.
On Tuesday (Nov.28) at around 1:50 a.m., Strathcona County RCMP responded to a report of a home invasion in the Lakeland Ridge area of Sherwood Park.
Three men forced their way into a residence, showed a gun and demanded money. One person in the home was assaulted and suffered minor injuries.
Police followed the suspect's vehicle into Edmonton, where it hit a rail guard and broke down.
A loaded shotgun was found in the vehicle.
All five people in the vehicle have been charged with robbery with a firearm, mischief under $5,000, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, careless use of a firearm, possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle and possession of a firearm without licence/registration.
Additional charges have been laid for each suspect:
- Engel Fernandez, 23, has been charged with two counts of failure to comply
- Taylor Fleming, 18, is facing three charges, including operating a motor vehicle while being pursued by police
- Andrew Gillis, 23, has been charged with eight offenses including assault
- Avhijot Bhamra, 19, is facing five charges including assault
- Jody Whitford, 30, has been charged with assault and unauthorized possession of a firearm
All five are scheduled to appear in Sherwood Park Provincial Court on Wednesday (December 6).
Police believe this was a targeted attack.