A fast acting neighbour is being credited with saving a Fort Saskatchewan duplex from going up in flames.
At 11:42 a.m., 9-1-1 dispatched the Fort Saskatchewan Fire Department to a structure fire at 71 Calvert Wynd.
“When we arrived, the fire was already pretty much extinguished due to the quick thinking neighbour who saw the flames at the back of the duplex next door and turned his garden hose on them,” explained Fort Saskatchewan fire chief Shawn McKerry.
The resident in the burning duplex was home at the time of the fire, but wasn't aware of the blaze.
"The fire was caused by smoking material left in a plant pot on the back deck,” added McKerry.
The city has called the Red Cross to help with temporary accommodation for the displaced residents.