Lamont roads are feeling the effects of the spring weather.
A seasonal road ban officially went into affect on Friday (Apr.6) for Lamont County. Along with that comes axle weight restrictions for truck drivers.
“Basically it allows truck drivers to load up to 50 per cent or whatever limit we’ve placed of their axle weight. So half of how much their truck would normally be able to carry,” said Lamont County communications coordinator Heather Atkinson.
The freeze and thaw cycle can cause roads to become soft and create problems for drivers.
“If you get a really heavy truck driving through then it just pounds ruts right into the road and completely destroys them. Then if it gets wet and muddy the next thing you know cars and trucks are getting completely stuck and it costs a lot of money to repair those roads, so that’s why we ask for some caution,” said Atkinson.
There is a hefty fine for those who do not comply.
Here are the roads effected and their percentage axle weights:
- Range Road 195 from Twp.550 south to Hwy.16: 50 per cent.
- Twp. Road 550 from Range Road 204 to Hwy.831 to Hwy.15: 50 per cent.
- Twp. Road 534 from Hwy.855 to Range Road 170: 50 per cent.
- Twp. Road 520 from Hwy.855 to Range Road 163: 50 per cent with no trucks over one tonne.
- Twp. Road 562 from Hwy.831 to Range Road 200 south to Hwy.29: 100 per cent.
- Range Road 195 jct. Hwy.15 to jct. Hwy.29: 100 per cent.
- Range Road 202 jct. Hwy15 to Canexus access road: 100 per cent.
- Range Road 203 jct. Hwy.45 to Cenovus access road: 75 per cent.
- Range Road 204 jct. Hwy.38 to Sil Silica access road: 100 per cent.
- Range Road 195 Hwy.16 south to Blackfoot Camp: 50 per cent.
- Range road 185 from Hwy.29 to Twp.Road 560: 75 per cent.
- Range Road 170 from Twp.580 to Twp.574: 75 per cent.
- Range Road 170 from Twp.574 to Hwy.45: 75 per cent.
- Twp.Road 574 from Range Road 165 to Range Road 170: 75 per cent.
- Hamlet of Hilliard Streets, Twp. Road 561 including Hamlet of Star from Hwy.831 to Range Road 193: 50 per cent.
The ban applies to gravel and oiled roads as well, which have an axle weight at 75 per cent.