Christmas trees and paper wrapped presents are a common tradition around this time of the year, increasing the risk of fires.
Living trees need to be watered regularily, candles shouldnt be on or next to the tree and presents.
"It's amazing how fast a dry Christmas tree can burn," said Shawn McKerry, Fort Saskatchewan fire chief. " A tree can actually engulf an entire living room full of flames within 45 seconds."
Tips for Christmas tree safety include:
- Use Canadian Standards Association certified lights and inspect lights for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed wires.
- Turn off the tree’s lights when you leave your home and at night.
- Choose decorations that are flame-retardant, non-combustible and non-conductive.
- Never use lighted candles on your Christmas tree.
- Keep your Christmas tree watered.