Understanding what causes black mould can help keep it at bay.
 
Mould is a part of our natural environment, however, when mould grows indoors, it can become a major health concern. 
 
"Black mould is a media term only, often referred to as stachybotrys, which is an indication of a long-term moisture exposure," said Avery Miskulin building science manager at DF Technical and Consulting Services.
 
For black mould to grow in large amounts, a particular environment has to be present.
 
"There's a trifecta of materials, moisture and temperature in order for mould growth to occur," added Miskulin, "if there is no moisture present then mould cannot grow.
 
The bathroom —an area of the home that is subject to large amounts of moisture—is a room that requires special treatment to decrease the odds of black mould appearing.
 
"Make sure that you run your exhaust fan in your shower for at least 20 minutes after completing your shower," suggests Miskulin.
 
In addition to turning on the fan, ensuring the shower curtain is completely closed, checking that doors and windows are properly sealed and running the kitchen fan can also help minimize mould growth.
 
Small amounts of mould, like on your windows, can be dealt with by using a household cleaner however, for larger amounts a professional assessment is recommended.
 
Large amounts of black mould should be safely dealt with under engineered control as the spores can become airborne if they are disturbed causing an inhalation issue.
 
More information on mould can be found  here.

More Local News

DiscoverWestman.com is Westman's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login