As 2019 winds down and a new year begins, it's time to look back at the biggest local news stories of the year.
According to hits on fortsaskonline.com, these are the top five newsmakers:
5. Local lottery winners - It may have taken eight months to claim their prize, but Jim and Colleen Kozakewich were $1-million lottery winners. The Fort Saskatchewan family plan to take a vacation and save their winnings.
4. Condo evacuation - 2019 won't go down as a favourite year for some Fort Saskatchewan residents. The city ordered an evacuation of a condo complex on 9930-100 Avenue due to the building being structurally unsafe.
3. A sad Saturday - On Nov.23, a 15-year-old was killed after getting hit by a vehicle at the Highway 21 and 84th Street intersection. A toddler was also allegedly murdered by his father. Locals showed their support with a vigil and a GoFundMe campaign.
2. Business is booming - Fort Saskatchewan welcomed a variety of new businesses to Westpark this year. Winners, Sleep Country Canada and more are being constructed in SouthPointe with openings scheduled for sometime in the summer.
1. Missing people - There were dozens of missing people cases from police throughout the Fort Saskatchewan, Strathcona County and Sturgeon County area. The biggest being 13-year-old Shenelle Jenkins, who went missing three times.
- MP Garnett Genius re-elected in Fort Saskatchewan-Sherwood Park