A house in Sherwood Park burned down over the weekend.

Just after 4 p.m. on Sunday (Apr. 10), Strathcona County Emergency Services got a 911 call from a house in the Belvedere Heights rural subdivision. A fire had started in the attic of the home and was spreading.

By the time crews arrived, the house was completely engulfed in flames. Everyone got out safely, so firefighters didn't send any of their members inside and attacked the blaze from outside.

According to deputy fire chief Devin Capcara, the wind was a problem for them during their attack and was a big reason the fire spread quickly.

"It was blowing burning embers into the surrounding trees and towards neighbouring residents, so the crews worked diligently to ensure that the fire didn't spread beyond the home."

The fire was under control by 7 p.m. Firefighters determined it started in the chimney of a wood-burning fireplace.

The house is a total loss, but no one was injured.