Strathcona County RCMP is investigating a recent string of vehicle break-ins in Sherwood Park.
Police say that the thefts are more likely to occur in areas that have many vehicles, like parking lots, or areas where there is low foot traffic.
To help avoid future thefts, Strathcona County RCMP is encouraging residents to take part in their '9PM Routine', a process that can be used to help minimize your chances of being a victim of a vehicle break-in.
The routine requires residents to take the following precautions every night at 9 p.m.:
- Remove valuables from your vehicle and ensure both doors are locked and windows are closed.
- If parked in a garage, close all garage windows and lock all garage doors. Remember to close the overhead garage door.
- Keep your vehicle registration and insurance documents in a secure location.
- Turn on an exterior light
- Close and lock your fence gate and any sheds.
- Be sure to put away any bikes or toys that might be in your yard.
Police also want to remind people not to interfere with a criminal if they witness a crime being committed on their property. Instead, call the police.
No suspects have been identified in these thefts, if you have any information on these incidents, call your local RCMP detachment.