Sixteen players from across the heartland were in Red Deer over the weekend to participate in the Alberta Cup.
Featuring the top 2007-born male athletes from across the province, the tournament aims at identifying and selecting potential players for Hockey Alberta's Team Alberta program.
After a 6-5 shootout victory over Alberta Grey, Alberta Black took the top prize. Black was up 5-3 with just over two minutes to go before Alberta Grey responded with two goals to force the game into overtime. Aiden Foster scored the only goal of the shootout to take the title for Alberta Black.
The local area had its strongest representation on the Alberta Black team:
- Ashton Brown, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Kale Dach, Forward, Fort Saskatchewan
- Emerson Hauch, Forward, Bruderheim
- Jaden Kokosha, Forward, Ardrossan
- Hudson Landmark, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Andrew Thomson, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Jake Walker, Forward, Sherwood Park
- Hunter Yannick, Forward, Fort Saskatchewan
- Madox Fisher, Defenceman, Sherwood Park
- Lachlan Kirkey, Goalie, Sturgeon County
The Alberta Grey team included defenceman Connor Schmidt and goalie Ryan Grout of Sturgeon County.
Alberta Yellow took third place in the tournament with a 6-1 win over Alberta Green, and Alberta Blue defeated Alberta Red in a 6-5 shootout for fifth and sixth place. Alberta Blue featured three local players; forward Braeden Cootes, defenceman Finn McGhie and goalie Connor Knorr, all from Sherwood Park.
Grout, Schmidt, and Cootes were named 2022 Alberta Cup All-Stars.
Hockey Alberta's 2022 Spring Showcase continues with the Prospects Cup (May 12-15) at the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre.