Students at Gibbons School moved outside due to safety concerns on Tuesday afternoon (May 2). 

An email to parents and guardians says that at around 2:15 p.m., staff noticed a strange smell in the building.

"As a precautionary measure, we moved students outdoors for the remainder of the school day and contacted the operations and maintenance team to investigate the source of the odour," said the message from the school's principal, Deborah Clark.

According to the email, the odour was natural gas venting due to a minor equipment malfunction.

"The equipment is currently undergoing repair, with appropriate lockout and safety measures in place."

Students loaded buses at their regular times and locations. 

Classes will continue as usual on Wednesday.

"The operations and maintenance team has determined there will be no residual environmental hazard that would impact the health and safety of students and staff."