A house in Redwater was badly damaged in a fire.

At around 7:50 p.m. on Saturday (Nov.27), the Redwater and Gibbons Fire Departments were called to a house fire in town. When they arrived, flames and smoke were coming out of the chimney.

Everyone was able to get out safely, and no one was injured.

Crews took an offensive approach and were able to get the fire under control which saved the house. There was, however, an estimated $70,000 worth of damage done to the roof, attic and living room.

"The crews did a very good job getting inside quickly and containing it. It certainly could have been a lot worse without their efforts," said Sturgeon County fire chief Pat Mahoney.

It's believed the fire was caused by a blockage in the chimney, which didn't allow the heat to escape and ignited the walls and chimney chase.